Motorcycle detailing & valeting. Why are these two processes so different?
Detailing & valeting are two very different processes.
Check out our guide by former Zymol master detailer turned motorcycle technician, Daniel Morris of mono motorcycles.
“Detailing is originally an American name for valeting, but here in the UK it’s valeting at a whole other level. Detailing is a term used for trying to get a vehicle back to, if not better than new”
So why bother going to all that trouble?
“Detailing is an essential part of motorcycle ownership. With all motorcycles being susceptible to UV damage, salt, fallout & acid from insects, it is always wise to protect against the damage these environmental issues can cause. Therefore, not only does detailing preserve the paint finish of the motorcycle, but it also helps prevent rust, oxidisation of paint finish & corrosion to unprotected alloys.”
“In addition, there has been more than one occasion when I’ve found a problem or a loose component while cleaning a customer’s vehicle. It’s always good to cast an eye over the fluid levels/brake pads & make sure nothing is loose or needs attention. The mono motorcycles detailing package not only helps with servicing issues, protects & prolongs the motorcycles life; it also helps to retain the resale value of your machine.”
Daniel Morris – Former Zymol detailer, now Master Motorcycle Technician, mono motorcycles
Here is what’s involved with detailing your motorcycle at mono motorcycles.
Unlike most other motorcycle detailer’s, here at mono motorcycles we pride ourselves on the ultimate protection for your motorcycle.
Not only do we correct all your painted surfaces, we also remove all fairings & wheels, polish corroded exhaust systems, flat and polish plastic headlights. As part of the detailing package, we even re-grease your chain before sealing your pride & joy with a combination of nano sealants, Zymol waxes & ACF50; giving your bike the ultimate protection.
mono motorcycles unique detailing protection package is unlike any other. mono motorcycles use a mixture of a hand applied sealants to all the paintwork, metals, wheels, followed by a nano spray to seal all the hard to reach areas.
The nano sealant protects your motorcycle from oil, road grime, fallout, mud & salt, making it easier to clean. ACF50 preserves the unprotected areas such as bare alloys, helping to protect your motorcycle & keep the resale value. This can be used on any type of motorcycle from road, sports bikes, customs & even off road machines!
Here is what is involved:
- Wash and de-grease using ph neutral shampoo snow foam.
- Clay bar tank, fairing panels to gently remove any ground in dirt.
- Remove fairings, hand wash engine & panels.
- Dry with warm air & microfibre towel.
- Remove seat & panels
- Dry clean & re-seal all electrical connections.
- Polish exhaust system to remove oxidisation. (Acid clean & re-polish if required).
- Remove wheels to gain access. Clay, polish & seal wheels, shock absorber’s & underside of mudguards.
- Wet flat & polish headlight (plastic) to remove chips & yellowing.
- Plastic polish to screen if fitted.
- Detail engine, frame & swing arm.
- Polish & seal all wheels & calipers.
- Polish inside all panels & seal by hand with nano protection.
- Coat all surfaces with nano spray sealant
- Refit wheels, clean & re-grease chain. Check & adjust chain & tyre pressures.
- Refit fairings.
- Paint correction to all painted surfaces.
- Paint cleaner, nano polish & nano sealant applied by hand.
A full motorcycle detail can take between 4-8 hrs, depending on the make & model of motorcycle & it’s condition.
Full professional detailing prices start from £192 (4 hours) + VAT, £240 (5 hours) + VAT, £288 (6 hours) + VAT, etc.
Motorcycle valeting is still a great way to ensure your motorcycle is kept in good condition & regular valeting can help preserve the longevity of your motorcycle.
However, valeting is a very different process than detailing. Please see below for the list of processes valeting entails.
- De-grease & two phase snow foam wash
- Compressed air & microfibre towel drying
- Wheels cleaned & polished
- Panels cleaned & polished
- ACF50 treatment to engine, frame & under belly
- Full polish to paintwork, lights & mirrors
Motorcycle valeting from mono motorcycles starts from £75 + VAT dependant on the motorcycle make & model & it’s condition.
Here’s a few tips for some actions you can complete yourself at home to help preserve your motorcycle
- Never wash your motorcycle in direct sunlight. Water droplets will act as magnifying glasses & burn the paint surface leaving small rings on the paint.
- Never use hash chemicals when washing. TFR (road traffic film remover) will strip bare alloys.
- Wheel acid, or even washing up liquid, contains large amount of salt which will make the motorcycle corrode & dull paint.
- Never point a pressure washer directly at your radiator, wheel bearings or chain. The pressure will bend the radiator fins & push past the bearing seals of wheels & chains causing them to rust from the inside.
- If you drop a cloth, bin it!
- Whenever you wash your motorcycle always dry it! Compressed air, drying towel or shammy. I dry mine with a microfibre towel then compressed air to blow out all the trapped water.
- If you use silicone to dress the motor and hoses, do this first. Why? Well it tends to settle everywhere. If you do this before you polish, it will remove any unwanted silicone of the panels.
- In the summer when your motorcycle is covered in insects, don’t try & rub them off. First get some paper towel & soak it in water before laying it on the panel for 5-10 mins over the insect. This will soften them & they should wipe clean away without scratching the paintwork.
For further information please do contact Daniel Morris or Katy Mason T: 01243 576212 / 07899 654446 or contact us through our contact page.